Buttons

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Backyard Basketball Court Lighting

Lighting Project

Recently, we decided to add some outdoor lighting to our backyard basketball court. Last year we had a contracting company put in our yard, which they did a great job. As part of that work, they installed a one inch conduit to both sides of the court to allow for electrical access to allow for outdoor lighting.

Then, I found a great supplier, LightPolesPlus.com to get light poles and LED lights.  From LightPolesPlus.com I ordered two 18 foot light poles, black finish and two LED 121 watt fixtures.  Each light fixture provides about 16,000 lumens.

Here's exactly what I ordered:
  • 121W, 12" LED Shoebox hercules, 120-277v, 15,595 nominal lumens, L70 LED life 182,000 hours, USA Made
  • 18' Tall x 4" OD x 11ga Square Straight Steel Anchor


Step by Step Implementation

Here are the steps we took in implementing our backyard lighting:

Step 1:  prepare the hardware

One of the difficult steps with the mounting bolts is setting the hardware in the concrete and making sure they stay in place during setting. To make this easier, I made two templates that would allow the bolts to be locked in position. I used 3/8 inch thick particle board 12" x 12" in size. I locked it in place between two bolts, one on top and one below.


Step 2:  lay the foundations

I created two 2'x2' holes that were 4 feet deep.  I ordered one yard of concrete and I still had a little left over.

Rented a single yard mixer











Added rebar for strength














Step 3:  install connection bolts

Once I had the bolts in positioned in the wet concrete, I spent a good amount of time ensuring that the wood plate was level and that each corner was the same height off the top of the concrete.











Step 4:  mounting and electrical


The light poles were each 18 feet high and I had several people help me lift them up and put in place.  It was a bit easier than I thought it would be.

Step 5:  home automation

Once I had the lights installed and wired-up, I used a GoControl WS15Z-1 Z-Wave Non-Dimming Wall Switch and the Wink Hub controller.  With those two items, I was able to control turning on the lights and off from anywhere.  I also got Alexa (Amazon Echo) configured to control the lights.  Now, we just ask Alexa to turn on the basketball court lights.

Results





I have a friend that installed two Metal Halide Mega Floodlights with 40,000 Lumens and I was really worried that the LED lights I installed wouldn't be sufficient.  However, after 2 months of usage it is no longer a concern.


Final thoughts

We are really happy with the outcome. We are also very satisfied with the the quality and craftsmanship of the light poles and lights from LightPolesPlus.com. It was a fun project and has added a lot of value to our usable backyard area.




8 comments:

  1. Hi Dan, Thanks for the informative step by step guide. I am currently working on the same project in my backyard and this has been a big help. Quick question, what size is your court? I was looking into two 300W LEDs placed on each side of the court based on what I had read up till seeing your project. The 120W you are using seems more than plenty in photos. My court is 35 x 50, what would you recommend for lighting wattage on a 35x50 court?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My court is 30'x30'. The lights I have are plenty for my court size but if I had a bigger court I would probably go for bigger lights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just installed these lights on a 46x30 court with the same set up as Darin. I ordered the 16' poles instead because the placement of the poses are 1' above grade. I have plenty of light with the 120 LED with that size court.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job. This is very helpful! We just poured a 30x35 court in our yard.
    We held off on the lighting since I wanted exactly what you have in place, but had not seen a proof of concept anywhere. I have a question. Our court is roughly 100 from the house and will be powered from a panel in an out building. We use a smartthings hub, but I am looking for an outdoor rated z-wave switch. Is the switch you used located in your house, or is it outdoors and convenient to the court? I can put the switch inside and build an outdoor voice activated method, but that is more involved that a switch! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you bring the electricity to the poles?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about glare? We’re doing a 30x50 with the tiles. Your thoughts please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did you actually rise the pole ? I have an 18 foot pole with a bull horn and fixtures already on top- so the pole is very top heavy and unstable ? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank You for this great information.
    Using our outdoor basketball court lighting with our modern LED lights to play basketball at night, you can ensure the match will go well without any issues.

    ReplyDelete